My hope is after you read this you will inspect your children’s room for small toys. These are very popular at all retail stores and may also be found in doctor’s offices treasure boxes. When I owned a day care center there were small balls a little larger than a half-dollar that were being put in cereal boxes. They were out-lawed and taken off the market after several children had died because of them. There were so many complaints they had to be taken out of all cereal boxes.
Unless you have witnessed a child choking you would not understand the helplessness of not knowing if you can get the object out of the child’s throat. For a true story, my little sister was six years old. I had just gotten home from school and was changing clothes in my room next to my parent’s room. I heard her playing with money and jumping on the bed, then I heard the gasping noises. I ran to get my mother and we were shaking so hard and didn’t know what to do, so we jumped in the car as I drove my legs were so out of control that my foot was pumping the gas pedal and down causing the car to speed up then slow down as if we were actually bouncing down Noccalula Road. My mother was screaming for me to slow down and I was yelling back for her to just be quiet. Then I heard my mother say, ‘She’s turned blue, and is not breathing!’
It was one of the scariest times of my life. We finally made it to the ER and my sister was dying, but when she quit breathing it allowed the nickel she had choked on which was covering her windpipe to slide on down her throat. The doctors couldn’t believe we had made it. We called it a miracle.
During the time I owned my day care I experienced two children choking. One child was choking on a quarter, the other was choking on a small ring that comes out of a money machine, you know, you put a quarter in and you get a prize.
A few months ago while at my eye doctor’s office I just happened to watch a child chose a small toy out of the treasure box. I told the mother that I wouldn’t let the little boy have it and why. Then I went through the box and removed every small toy and when I saw my doctor he listened and said he’d never looked in the treasure box and he assured me he would not leave them in his office.
If every parent would realize that all these small plastic toys that have hit the market are nothing but a danger and have been fatal to many children, I know they would not buy them. Why do we get content trusting the companies that make these fatal toys? It doesn’t matter what age a child is, they often put things in their mouths.
Please pass this on and let your friends know the dangers of these small toys as they are very popular now. If you have the time you could cut this article out and give it to your own dentist or doctors who have treasures boxes.
Don’t be afraid to check out all toys inside cereal boxes, and in doctor’s office’s treasure boxes and inform the doctor and hopefully we can at least stop this to a degree.